Over recent years, a lot has been said about stroke, and awareness is a key we all need. It’s hard to believe that one person is struck by ‘lighting’ in his or her head every 40 seconds in the United States alone. Approximately one out of five stroke cases is fatal, with the survivors being twice as likely to have another brain attack in the future. Considering this gravely disturbing statistics, it’s of vital importance not only to be able to recognize the condition but also to know how to act when it occurs and what stroke healing methods are available these days. Let’s find out more about one of the leading causes of permanent disability in the world and how to recover from it.
Understanding a brain attack and post-stroke pain
Similar to a myocardial infarction (commonly known as a heart attack), a stroke occurs when the blood supply is disrupted, except the shortage happens in the brain. It is caused by blood vessels being ruptured or blocked, which leads to cell damages and oxygen deprivation. When some part of the brain doesn’t get enough essential nutrients and oxygen, it starts dying.
Depending on why the blood supply to the brain is reduced, a stroke may be ischemic or hemorrhagic. The former is associated with the blockage of arteries due to clots while the latter is caused by bleeding in the neural tissue. It does matter which case is yours because the type of a brain attack determines your best treatment after a stroke.
Most symptoms of a brain attack occur like a flash, no matter whether you are male or female, young or over 65. The damage to the brain can manifest itself within minutes, and here are FAST stroke signs that can help you recognize it:
- Facial droop. When one side of your face is suddenly sagging downwards, the chances are that you’re suffering from a stroke. Drooping is especially visible when smiling.
- Arm problems. If you are unable to move your right or left arm and feel numbness or severe tingling sensations in it, then there may be a blockage of the blood flow in your brain.
- Speech abnormalities. Trouble speaking is probably the most common sign of a stroke. It occurs when the part of the brain that controls speech is damaged.
- Time to seek immediate care. If one or several of these symptoms are noticed, dial 911 as soon as possible.
After a brain attack, either ischemic or hemorrhagic, you are likely to experience post-stroke pain. The underlying cause of this condition is all about your brain being damaged and, thus, unable to properly respond to external stimuli, like cold, warmth, light, and touch. Pain may be moderate to severe, and it calls for adequate stroke recovery therapy.
Although stroke is linked to substantial mental and physical damage, this doesn’t mean that its effects are irreversible. Rehabilitation is an important recovery step that can help you live a happy life again. Its goal is to bring your normal abilities as well as brain function back, making your lifestyle as independent as it can be. Fortunately, you can now make the most of the latest medical breakthroughs and the newest stroke healing modality called pulsed electromagnetic field therapy.
PEMF therapy for stroke patients
Backed up by a plethora of clinical studies, PEMF therapy proves to be the option that stroke patients have been waiting for. It works by stimulating brain cells using low-level electromagnetic fields to restore the blood flow and ensure a steady supply of oxygen to the area that has been damaged during a stroke. It is not intended to substitute a treatment plan recommended by your doctor, but it can be an excellent addition to it.
For most stroke patients, the treatment with PEMF is more than just promising as it is reported to:
- minimize cell damage and start the healing process;
- restore the supply of essential nutrients to the area where the cut-off has occurred;
- relieve pain after a stroke;
- improve cognitive skills;
- enhance the effectiveness of rehabilitation, helping to recover from speech and mobility problems.
If you or someone you know has had a stroke, consider using PEMF therapy because it is advanced enough to improve your life quality and reduce your chances of having another brain attack. For patients with this condition, we recommend opting for Almag-03 – the device that can help you recover from a stroke within as little as 20 days.